It has been required since 2014 for all commercial drivers to go to a Certified Medical Examiner for their DOT physical and medical certificate. Dr. Christophe Oliveira is an NRCME Certified medical examiner which provides him with the experience and tools necessary to perform DOT medical exams to New Jersey drivers. DOT medical exams are performed in order to analyze the physical, mental and emotional issues that can affect the driver while at the wheel of a commercial vehicle.
DOT Medical Exam Requirements
New Jersey Disc Center provides hassle free DOT physical exams as well as truck driver exams and bus driver exams. Exams are provided in-office and onsite for the driver’s convenience. Upon completion of the exam, a laminated medical certificate is provided to the driver.
The DOT medical exam is made up of the following:
- Discussion of medical history
- Physical exam
- Hearing test
- Vision test
- Physical exam interpretation
Exam Day Recommendations
On the day of the DOT medical exam, it is recommended that you stay hydrated. Stick to water – do not drink coffee, tea, soda or hot chocolate. It is also requested that you do not smoke for at least two hours prior to the exam. Be sure to take all of your routine prescribed medication on time as well. It is advised that you also arrive early to your appointment in order to fill out the necessary paperwork.
Important Information to Consider
- If you drive a vehicle over 10,000 lbs, you are required to carry a medical card – New Jersey Disc Center provides the medical exam for this and will issue the medical card needed to drive this type of vehicle.
- If you drive a vehicle over 26,000 lbs, you are required to be drug tested – New Jersey Disc Center provides in-office, no wait time drug testing.
- Blood pressure readings below 140/90 may allow for a 2 year medical card.
- Keep your BMI < 33 to help avoid sleep apnea testing.
- Call the office if you would like to know your BMI.
- If you have an implantable defibrillator, you will be disqualified.